14 Tips for Electrical Safety in Your Home
When it comes to electricity, safety is of the upmost importance. There’s a reason why electrical repairs and services should be left to qualified professionals: electricity is dangerous. Certified electricians must undergo extensive classroom education and on-the-job training in order to become qualified to do their job, because electrical wiring is both hazardous and complex. As a safety-conscious Langhorne homeowner, you know to never attempt electrical repairs on your own unless you really know what you’re doing. However, you may not be aware of certain key household electrical hazards that could endanger your safety. Here are some useful electrical safety tips to help you protect yourself and your family from fire, electrocution, and other dangers in the home.
- Beware of frayed or worn-out electrical cords. These can present a major risk for electric shock or an electrical fire. Do not try to simply repair them yourself with electrical tape.
- Make sure electrical cords are firmly plugged into outlets.
- Don’t overload plug sockets with too many appliances. This can present an electrical safety risk by increasing the chances of an accidental fire.
- Look out for appliance plus that are “piggy-backed” together on a single switch. This isn’t safe. Call your local electrician to find out more about repairing this issue before it causes any problems.
- Electrical appliances that blow fuses, overheat, or spark, are not safe to use. Call your electrician as soon as possible about getting any necessary repairs.
- Wet floors and electricity don’t mix. Be very careful about keeping electrical devices and appliances away from water and moisture.
- Keep appliances away from water. We all know not to use the toaster in the bathtub, but keep an eye on more typical bathroom appliances like hair dryers and electric shavers.
- Don’t use extension cords in wet areas.
- As a safety measure, keep small appliances like toasters and hair dryers unplugged and turned off when not in use.
- Give heat-generating appliances some space. Even a radio alarm clock can generate some heat. To maintain electrical safety, keep some distance between these items and draping clothes, toys, and other household objects.
- Keep clothes, curtains, and other flammable materials away from radiators and space heaters.
- Only use appropriate light bulbs. Make sure your light bulb’s wattage is safe for the lighting fixture. An overly powerful bulb could start an electrical fire.
- Do not try to use water to put out an electrical fire. Again, water and electricity do not mix. Be sure to use a dry fire extinguisher designed to put out an electrical fire safely and effectively.
- Don’t attempt amateur electrical repairs. It’s always safer to hire a professional.
That last tip is important—don’t try to repair electrical wiring or appliances on your own if you don’t know what you’re doing. Many homeowners ignore the electrical safety hazards of amateur home repairs, often in an attempt to save money. Always play it safe and call a qualified professional electrician for all your home repair needs. In Langhorne, Pennsylvania and surrounding areas, Mandia Electric are among the most trusted names in electrical repairs and more. Don’t DIY it—call Mandia Electric instead.
The A Team for Your Electricity
For Bucks County and surrounding areas the name to trust is Mandia Electric. Since 2001 we have been serving local community members’ needs for electrical repairs. Now, let us see what we can do for you.
If you are looking for a Langhorne Electrician then please call 215-752-2906 or complete our online request form.